Fifth Third Essential Checking
This simple and straightforward checking option is for those who want just the basics in a checking account. It comes with all the essential features you need and all the access you want to make banking easy.
No monthly service charge if:
Otherwise, it's $11 per month. (Reduced to $8 per month with monthly direct deposits totaling $500 or more)4
Please take a quick look at the application checklist before you get started—to make sure you have everything you need.
Three easy ways to get started:
Switching banks? No problem. View instructions on how to switch your checking account.
Want to change your existing Fifth Third checking account to one of our new accounts? That's easy. Just give us a call or stop by any Fifth Third Banking Center.
†Member FDIC. Offer available to new consumer checking customers only, excluding Private Bank, opening an account by March 31, 2014. $50 minimum deposit required to open all accounts. New account, three online bill payments and direct deposit required within 90 days of account opening to obtain bonus. Bonus will be deposited into your new account within 6 weeks of completing requirements. Monthly fees and certain restrictions may apply. Fifth Third Enhanced Checking is an interest bearing checking account and all balances earn 0.05% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) in all markets. Fifth Third Preferred Checking is an interest bearing account and all balances earn 0.24% APY in IL, IN, KY, MI, OH, WV, 0.38% APY in FL and TN, 0.40% APY in MO, 0.46% APY in NC, 0.50% APY in GA, and 0.60% APY in PA. APY accurate as of 1/2/14. Rates may change after account opening. Fees may reduce earnings. One offer per account per household. Not valid with any other offer. The Curious Bank is a registered trademark of Fifth Third Bancorp. Stand Up To Cancer is a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
- Subject to Internet Banking terms and conditions.
- Mobile Internet data charges may apply as well as text messaging charges. Contact your mobile service provider for details.
- All owners on the savings accounts and any secondary checking accounts must also be listed together as owners on your Fifth Third Essential Checking account. Secondary checking accounts will be set up as the same type of account as your primary checking account.
- Fifth Third will look back 35 days from your statement cycle date to calculate your total direct deposits.
- Fifth Third Essential Checking requires monthly direct deposits totaling $500 or more to receive the Relationship Savings interest bonus.
- The benefits in Fifth Third Identity Alert are provided by Fifth Third's vendor, Affinion Benefits Group. To find out more information on Identity Alert, please visit your local Fifth Third Banking Center or visit IdentityAlert.53.com.
- To waive monthly service charges, only accounts with the same owners listed are included. To ensure your privacy all owners on a Fifth Third Essential account must also be listed as owners on other checking and savings accounts to qualify toward the $1,500 combined monthly average balance requirement.
$50 minimum deposit required to open all accounts.
Deposit and credit products provided by Fifth Third Bank, Member FDIC.
Deposit balances are insured up to the maximum amount permitted by law. Please see www.fdic.gov for insurance coverage.
Fifth Third Pricing and Services at a Glance
Simple. Straightforward. Transparent.
|| Print Consumer Fifth Third Pricing and Services at a Glance
|Account Opening and Usage|
|Minimum Deposit Needed
to Open Account
|Checking: Monthly Service Charge||eAccess: No monthly service charge.
Essential Checking: $11 or $8 with monthly direct deposit of $500 or more.
Established Checking: $15
Enhanced Checking: $20
Preferred Checking: $25
|Checking: Requirements to Waive Monthly Service Charge||eAccess: No monthly service charge. Requires monthly direct deposit of $500 or more, no paper statements and no checking writing.1
Essential Checking: Combined monthly average of $1,500 across checking and savings, or a student; or a U.S. Military member or you participate in your employer's Fifth Third banking benefits program with monthly direct deposit totaling $500 or more.2
Established Checking: Combined monthly average balance of $5,000 across your deposit and investment* accounts, or spend at least $500 per month on a Fifth Third credit card, or have an existing Fifth Third personal mortgage, auto loan, or line of credit with an outstanding balance.3
Enhanced Checking: Combined monthly total of at least $20,000 across your deposit and investment* accounts.4
Preferred Checking: Combined monthly total of $100,000 across your deposit and investment* accounts.5
|Interest Rate||Accounts Earning Interest: Enhanced Checking, Preferred Checking, and all Savings accounts. Please see rate sheet.|
|ATM Fees – Fifth Third||$0 - No charge to use Fifth Third ATMs|
|Non Fifth Third ATM Transactions||$2 for U.S. transactions and $5 for International transactions.
(Fees are waived for Military and Preferred accounts.)
|3% of transaction amount.6|
|Currency Conversion Fee||.20% of transaction amount.6|
|Dormant Account Monthly Fee||$5 per month (Fee will be assessed for no deposits or withdrawals for the period of 12 months for checking accounts and 36 months for savings accounts. Fee not assessed if balance is greater than $2,500.)|
|Account Closure Fee||$0 No charge|
|Overdraft Fees and Returned Payments|
Per item overdraft fees are based on the number of overdraft occurrences in the past 12 months
|For the first occurrence, you will be charged $25 per item. For any other occurrence, the cost is $37 per item. No per item overdraft fees are charged when your account is overdrawn $5 or less at the end of our business day. You will not be charged for more than 10 items per day.|
|Extended Overdraft Fee||$0 No charge|
|Overdraft Protection Transfer
If you are enrolled in Overdraft Protection,
funds are moved automatically from one of your other Fifth Third Bank accounts.
|Overdraft Protection transfer fee: $12 per transfer.|
With Overdraft Coverage, debits and payments may be made even if you do not have enough money in your account.
* Overdraft Coverage for Checks and Automatic Debits comes standard with most checking accounts (overdraft fees apply).
* Overdraft Coverage for ATM transactions and Debit Card purchases is optional and requires enrollment.
When you opt-in to Overdraft Coverage (ATM/Debit Card), overdraft fees may apply to these transactions.
When you choose not to opt-in to Overdraft Coverage (ATM/Debit Card), your card transactions are denied and no overdraft fees are applied to those transactions.
|Charged Off Account
$30 per account
|Other service fees|
|ATM Mini Statement||$1.50 per request|
|Copy Of A Check Or Statement Per Request
(most recent 6-16 months available at 53.com with no charge)
|$5 per copy|
|Copy Of Check Images Mailed
With Monthly Statement
|$2 per month (Fee waived for Preferred and Private Bank accounts)|
|Research Per Request||$25 per hour|
|Representment Of A Check||$3.75 per item|
|Return Deposited Item||$15 per item|
|Stop Payment Fee||$33 per item|
|Money Orders||$1.25 each|
|Official Checks/Cashier Checks||$7 each (Fee waived for Enhanced, Preferred and Private Bank accounts)|
|Wire Transfer (Incoming)||$15 each domestic and/or international wire transfer|
|Wire Transfer (Outgoing)||$25 each domestic wire transfer; $45 each foreign wire transfer plus exchange rate, taxes and corresponding fee(s). Beginning July 15, 2013, $30 each domestic wire transfer; $50 each foreign wire transfer sent in foreign currency; $85 each foreign wire transfer sent in U.S. dollars. Exchange rates, and other bank fees and taxes may apply.|
|Debit Card Services|
|Gold Debit MasterCard®||$0 No Annual Fee|
|World Debit™ MasterCard® Monthly Fee||3.95 (Fee waived for Preferred accounts)|
|Annual Specialty Debit Card Design Fee
(i.e. patriotic, vacation)
|$5 First annual fee is assessed at card opening and then on each open anniversary date thereafter. (Fee waived for: Enhanced, Established, Preferred and Private Bank accounts)|
|Annual Affinity Debit Design Fee||$10 (i.e. sports affiliates, zoo cards, etc. Card fee waived for: Enhanced, Established, Preferred and Private Bank accounts. No charge for Fifth Third Cincinnati Bengals and Nashville Predators Debit or Credit Card.)|
|Stand Up to Cancer Debit Card Fee||$25 Stand Up to Cancer will receive $10 for each $25 annual fee associated with the Stand Up to Cancer debit card. No fee waiver.|
|Card Replacement Fee||$10 each|
|If You Need Us To Fax A Document For You||$3 per page|
|Processing Fee For Garnishment, Attachment Or Levy||$80|
|Overdraft Calculation Order
If there is not enough money in your
account at the end of the day to cover
all of your posted debits, then we
consider transactions in this order.
Daily Balance From Prior Business Day
(+) Add Credits
(-) Deduct Posted Timestamped Debits
(-) Deduct Posted Batch Debits (i.e. checks, Internet bill payment)
(-) Deduct Fees and Service Charges (i.e. monthly service charge)
Please see Overdraft Calculation Order section for more details.
|Funds Availability Policy
When funds deposited to your account are available
Cash, Electronic Direct Deposits & Wire Transfers - Same Business Day we receive the deposit.
Check Deposit with Teller or Check/Cash Deposit at ATM prior to cut- off time – The first $100 from the deposit will be available on the day we receive the deposit. Remaining funds will be available on the first Business Day after the day of your deposit.
A Business Day is a non-holiday weekday. Funds received after certain cut-off times may be credited the next business day.
Please see Cut-Off Times and Funds Availability Policy for Transaction Accounts section for more details.
Electronic transactions and to report lost/stolen cards or password, unauthorized transfers
Errors or Questions:
PIN, ACH, Signature Transactions
Write: Customer Service Department
Please use appropriate Mail Drop
Write: Card Services Department
FEES APPLICABLE TO HEALTH SAVINGS ACCOUNTS (HSA)
Refer to the Health Savings Account (HSA) Fee Schedule provided at account enrollment for applicable fees.
Have Questions? Call: 1-800-972-3030, click www.53.com
or visit your nearest Fifth Third Bank location.
- You have 60 days from account opening to enroll in online statements. You cannot have 3 consecutive monthly statement periods containing check writing or no direct deposits. If any one of these requirements is not met, your account will be automatically converted to Fifth Third Essential Checking, which requires a minimum balance to avoid a monthly service charge. If your eAccess account is converted because of violation of the check writing or direct deposit requirements, you will not be able to change your account back to eAccess for 90 days. Fifth Third will look back 35 days from your statement cycle date to calculate your total direct deposits.
- Fifth Third Essential Checking: To waive monthly service charges, only accounts with the same owners listed are included. To ensure your privacy all owners on a Fifth Third Essential checking account must also be listed as owners on other checking and savings accounts to qualify toward the $1,500 combined monthly average balance requirement. Fifth Third will look back 35 days from your statement cycle date to calculate your total monthly direct deposits.
- Fifth Third Established Checking: To waive monthly service charges, only accounts with the same owners listed are considered. To ensure your privacy all owners on a Fifth Third Established Checking account must also be listed as owners on other accounts to count toward the $5,000 combined monthly average balance. Combined deposits and investments include any checking, savings, CDs, brokerage*, annuity*, and personal trust accounts. All credit loans/lines are subject to credit review and approval. All owners on a Fifth Third Checking Account must also be listed as owner of the loan. Bond or lot loans and overdraft lines of credit are excluded. $500 monthly credit card spend is calculated by looking at all your Fifth Third Credit Card accounts and adding the total amount spent on any personal credit card statement(s) issued within the last 35 days. All owners of the Fifth Third Established checking account must also be owners or co-applicants or authorized users of the credit card.
- Fifth Third Enhanced Checking: To waive monthly service charges, only accounts with the same owners listed are considered. To ensure your privacy, all owners on the Fifth Third Enhanced checking accounts must also be listed as owners on other accounts to count toward the $20,000 combined balance. Combined deposits and investments include any checking, savings, CDs, brokerage*, annuity*, and personal trust accounts.
- Fifth Third Preferred Checking: A combined account balance is considered to be the sum of all checking, savings, money market deposit accounts, bank and brokerage* IRAs, certificates of deposit, investment management accounts, annuities*, and brokerage* balances. One Fifth Third Preferred Checking account owners must be listed as an owner on the other accounts to count towards the $100,000 combined balance. Fees apply for some products and services in the Fifth Third Preferred Banking Program.
- See Debit Card Disclosure and Card Agreement.
Securities Disclosure: *Investments, variable annuities and brokerage accounts are offered though Fifth Third Securities, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fifth Third Bank. Fixed annuities are offered through Fifth Third Insurance Agency Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Fifth Third Bank.
Fifth Third Bank Provides access to investments and investment services through various subsidiaries, including Fifth Third Securities is the trade name used by Fifth Third Securities, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC, a registered broker-dealer and registered investment advisor registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. Securities and investments ordered through Fifth Third Securities, Inc. and insurance products: · Are Not FDIC Insured · Offer No Bank Guarantee · May Lose Value · Are Not Insured By Any Federal Government Agency · Are Not A Deposit. Insurance products made available through Fifth Third Insurance Agency, Inc.
Deposit and credit products provided by Fifth Third Bank, Member FDIC. The standard deposit insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor. Please see www.fdic.gov for insurance coverage. Fifth Third and Fifth Third Bank are registered service marks of Fifth Third Bancorp. Equal Housing Lender.