Important Changes to the Fifth Third Student Checking Account and Overdraft Policies Beginning June 27, 2012
Beginning June 27, 2012, the Student Checking Account will become Fifth Third Essential Checking, an account type which offers several advantages. If you currently have a Student Checking Account, your account number will remain the same.
All "per-transaction" fees for agent-assisted balance transfers and early account closure will be eliminated.
Fifth Third Essential Checking Features Include:
- Your Fifth Third Essential checking account will continue to have no monthly service charge and 5 free non-Fifth Third ATM transactions per month in keeping with your current status as a student. Your student status automatically expires on December 31 of the year you turn 23 years old. If necessary, it can be extended for one year at a time upon verification of student status.
- When your student status expires, your account will work just like any other Fifth Third Essential checking account. There will be a service charge of $11 per month. However, you can reduce this charge to $8 with monthly direct deposits totaling $500 or more. We will look back 35 days from your statement cycle date to calculate your total direct deposit.
- The charge will be waived entirely if you maintain a combined monthly total average balance of $1,500 or more across your Fifth Third checking and savings accounts. All owners of the Essential checking account must also be listed as owners on other checking and savings accounts to qualify.
- Your account will no longer offer one free, incoming wire transfer per month. Money transfers can be made via Popmoney® and External Transfer tools which are readily available at www.53.com.
Overdraft Policy Changes
- There will no longer be a daily overdraft fee.
- Per item overdraft fees will be based on the number of overdraft occurrences in the past 12 months. For the first occurrence, you will be charged $25 per item. For each additional occurrence the cost will be $37 per item.
- We believe everyone should have protection from an occasional shortfall. That's why there is no per item overdraft fee when your account is overdrawn by $5.00 or less at the end of our business day.
- If you are enrolled in Overdraft Protection (where funds are automatically transferred from another one of your Fifth Third accounts to cover balance shortages), the charge will be $12 each time funds are transferred.
A checking account with special benefits for high school and college students age 16 and up.1
Best For You If…
You are in high school or college and want a checking account with no monthly service fee and no minimum balance requirements. You want to track your money while establishing good financial habits and protecting your identity.
Because You Get:
Fees associated with Student Checking
No monthly service fee and no minimum balance requirements.
Apply for a Fifth Third Student Checking Package
The simple online application process should take approximately 15 minutes to complete. Read the Application Checklist for an overview of the application and what you will need to apply.
It's Easy to Switch to a Fifth Third Student Checking Account
Open a Fifth Third Student Checking Account, and then simply download, print and complete these forms:
More from Fifth Third
FeesSpecial fees that apply to all checking accounts:
* Effective June 27, 2012, fees for all agent-assisted balance transfers and early account closure will be eliminated. For savings accounts, fees for excess withdrawals will also be discontinued.
- Students under the age of 18 must apply with a co-applicant at a Fifth Third Banking Center.
- Other ATM network owners may assess a usage fee. Fees for non-Fifth Third ATM transactions in excess of 5 per statement are $2.00 per transaction.
$50 minimum deposit required to open all accounts.
* Subject to terms and conditions
† First annual fee is assessed at card opening and then on each open anniversary date, thereafter.